Nothing is more satisfying than a good cold glass of fresh squeezed lemonade on a hot summer’s day, especially here in Texas. Growing up in Texas, I can only remember the daily use of fresh lemons in everything such as our Texas teas, seafood, vegetables, desserts, marinades, garnishes and my mom’s famous hot toddies.
The health benefits of lemons are astonishing. Lemons are the citrus family’s sour relative and one of the world’s most popular citrus fruit. The bioactive compounds in lemons known as Phyto-chemical are responsible for the following Fresh Squeeze Health Benefits of Lemons:
- Prevent Recurrence of Kidney Stones. A recent study in Lancet suggests that fresh lemon juice supplementation might prevent stone recurrence. Personal experience:
A close family member two years ago underwent surgical removal of kidney stones. The surgeon assured me the stones would return. However, medically once the body starts making stones, it will continue. I immediately began the daily use of lemons in the diet shortly following the surgery. As a result, there are no recurrences upon the most recent check-up. The citric acid component in lemons significantly prevents the return formation of kidney stones.
- Stabilize Blood Sugars. Unstable blood sugars (glucose) are an excessive amount of digested sugars entering the bloodstream after a meal, leading to insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is an impaired response of the body to insulin, which prevents sugars from entering the cells. As a result, there is a high accumulation of blood sugars (glucose)in the bloodstream. Insulin resistance is the primary precursor to prediabetes and diabetes.
However, the action of foods with a low Glycemic Index (GI), such as lemons, increases insulin sensitivity by stabilizing the release of sugars/glucose in the bloodstream after a meal. Thus, you can lower the overall GI of a meal by adding a few teaspoons of lemon juice which will also improves the body’s ability to store the carbs/sugars you eat as muscle glycogen instead of as fat.
- Cancer Preventative. According to published research lemons may help protect against various cancers, including breast cancer. The bioactive compounds Hesperidin and d-limonene present in lemons are responsible for this protection.
- Lowers Blood Pressure. A recent study suggests that lemons’ bioactive components such as citric acid, polyphenol, and ascorbic acid may potentially lower blood pressure.
- Improves Heart Health. Ingestion of lemons is associated with heart health. In addition, studies suggest that consuming vitamin C-rich fruits protect against coronary heart disease.
Please be mindful of ingesting all things in moderation. Although lemons are not harmful, however, may cause skin irritations if placed directly on the skin and, due to their high acid content, may damage tooth enamel with excessive consumption.
LEMON’S Fresh Squeeze Health Benefits are numerous. Lemons are a refreshing avenue of providing a natural way to enhance our overall health and welfare. So squeeze a few lemons this summer and enjoy; I certainly have!