The human brain uses 20% of the body’s calories and is made up of 85% water and 60% fat requiring specific nutrients for proper development and maintenance of cognitive health. Scientific evidence is increasing demonstrating the relationship between the amount and type of foods we eat and how it impacts our mental health.
Studies indicate the brain begins showing signs of cognitive decline as early as age 20 and three out of five Americans will develop a brain disease in their lifetime. Statistics report by 2030, the total cost of Alzheimer’s, dementia, and stroke are expected to exceed $1 Trillion. Brain health is a delicate subject for me in that my father became part of the stroke statistics 8 years ago. I realize more than ever; nutrition affects the overall development and health of the brain’s structure and function.
Among the countless of studies emerging on brain health, I am fascinated with the research on both the “Brain-Gut Axis” and “Diet.” A recent study in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society indicates the Mediterranean- style of eating stressing (fruit, vegetables, fish, nuts, lentils, unsaturated oils olive oil, and plant sources proteins) will prevent the decline of brain health. The Mediterranean-style provides the following nutritional benefits for the brain:
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids provides building material to the brain by supporting intercellular signaling events, also positively influence synaptic functions. Sources: Oily fish- salmon, mackerel, tuna, herring, sardines. Please read You Me and My Omega-3s (September 13, 2018).
- Flavonoids: studies indicate these nutrients enhance cognitive function by encouraging neuron and blood vessel growth in parts of the brain involving memory and learning. Flavonoids also stimulate blood flow in the brain. Sources: Cacao / (dark chocolate 70%), green tea, citrus fruits, red wine.
- Antioxidants: Polyphenol Study shows that antioxidants improve communication between brain cells, reduce inflammation within the body, increase plasticity (helps brain cells form new connections which enhance learning and memory. Also, antioxidants reduce or delay age-related neurodegenerative diseases and cognitive decline. Sources: Strawberries, blackberries, blueberries berries, and blackcurrants.
- Glucosinolates: Compounds found in pungent plants like mustard, horseradish, and “cruciferous vegetables.” These compounds are activated by the process of chewing or cutting. Glucosinolates may slow the breakdown of neurotransmitters of which are necessary for the proper functioning of the central nervous system. Sources: Broccoli, kale, greens, spinach, cauliflower, brussels sprouts and cabbage, and rapeseed.
- Choline: A compound found in Egg yolks. Choline acts as a precursor for a specific neurotransmitter known as acetylcholine, which plays an essential role in our learning and memory process.
- Coffee: A known anti-inflammatory that prevents the brain from developing mild cognitive impairment. Cognitive impairment is a precursor to dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
Following the Mediterranean-Style diet is evidence- base to be conducive to brain health. However, data also shows choosing to follow the Western diet consisting of overly processed foods, high saturated fat, red meat, pastries, sweets, and fried/fast foods will lead to an advance decline of our brain’s health.
Strive to be selective and mindful of the types and amounts of food you consume. Each day your brain and other organs are dependent upon you to ingest the appropriate nutrients required for proper growth and development which will ultimately bring about optimal health and well-being.
Just my “Food for Thought.”
An excellent post on Brain Health. I will check in often. Paul Griffin
Merely wanna comment on few general things, The website design and style is perfect, the content material is very superb. “Crime does not pay … as well as politics.” by Alfred E. Newman.
Good site you have here.. It’s difficult to find excellent writing like yours nowadays. I truly appreciate people like you! Take care!!
Thank you appreciate you taking the time to visit my Blog and for the encouraging words!
It’s nearly impossible to find knowledgeable people for this subject, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks
I need to to thank you for this wonderful read!! I definitely loved every bit of it. I have you book-marked to look at new things you post…
Thank you for the kind and wonderful words of encouragement.
Saved as a favorite, I love your web site!
Thank you I appreciate you taking your time to visit my Blog!
Hello there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my zynga group?
There’s a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content.
Please let me know. Many thanks
My goal is to help others please by all means share with your group. Thank you for your kind words.
Pretty! This was an extremely wonderful article. Thank you for providing this info.
Thank you. Appreciate the encouragement so happy you enjoyed the article.
I could not resist commenting. Exceptionally well written!
Very good post. I certainly appreciate this site. Stick with it!
Thank you for the much needed encouragement!
I want to to thank you for this fantastic read!! I certainly enjoyed every little bit of it. I have you book marked to look at new things you post…
Hi, this weekend is pleasant in support of me, because this moment i am reading this wonderful informative article here at my residence.|
Remarkable! Its genuinely remarkable post, I have got much clear idea regarding from this post.|
“I need to to thank you for this fantastic read!! I certainly loved every bit of it. I’ve got you bookmarked to look at new stuff you postO”
Thank you so very much for taking the time to visit my blog and for the positive encouraging words,
“You need to take part in a contest for one of the most useful blogs on the web. I will highly recommend this website!”
Thank you for the encouraging compliment. Appreciate you visiting my blog.
“May I just say what a relief to find an individual who truly understands what they are discussing over the internet. You actually know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. A lot more people must read this and understand this side of your story. I was surprised you aren’t more popular since you certainly have the gift.”
“This is the right site for anybody who really wants to find out about this topic. You know a whole lot its almost tough to argue with you (not that I actually would want toÖHaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a subject which has been discussed for a long time. Wonderful stuff, just wonderful!”
“Right here is the perfect site for anyone who would like to understand this topic. You know so much its almost tough to argue with you (not that I really would want toÖHaHa). You certainly put a fresh spin on a subject that’s been discussed for years. Great stuff, just wonderful!”